Friday, April 11, 2008

"American Idol" Edits Out Jesus

I admit it... I enjoy American Idol when I can see it. It is actually a very good and glorified talent show. Although I missed the "Idol Gives Back" special Wednesday evening, I have heard what happened during their finale when they sung "Shout To The Lord." The lyrics "My Jesus, my Savior..." were changed to "My Shepherd, my Savior..." These lyrics are the first words of the song. Actually, it was a little surprising they would even perform this spiritual song. Click here to see an article about the performance. It is a wonderful song of faith in Jesus, but the name Jesus was edited out of the song for this performance.

Some think that even the watered down version of the song was a step in a good direction, but I think it is a step in a very dangerous direction. Why? This leads to a politically correct form of religion. It seeks unity based on consensus rather than what God demands of those who would be His disciples. When Peter addressed the Sanhedrin, the high council of the Jews, he spoke of "Jesus of Nazareth" and then said, "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). Later, the Sanhedrin commanded them (Peter and John) "not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus" (Acts 4:18). The Apostles answer was classic, "Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you more than to God, you judge. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard" (Acts 4:19-20).

The refusal to use Jesus' name in a way such as this reveals that one is either ashamed (Romans 1:16) or does not truly believe in Jesus (John 8:24). Jesus Himself said, "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 10:32-33).

No comments: