Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Call of the City


I said, "Let me walk in the field,"
He said, "Nay, walk in the town."
I said, "There are no flowers there."
He said, "No flowers, but a crown."

I said, "But the skies are black;
There is nothing but noise and din."
But He wept as He sent me back,
"There is more," He said. "There is sin."

I said, "But the air is thick,
And fogs are veiling the sun."
He answered, "Yet souls are sick,
And souls in the dark undone."

I said, "I shall miss the light,
And friends will miss me they say."
He answered, "Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you, or they."

I pleaded for time to be given.
He said, "Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in heaven,
To have followed the steps of your guide."

I cast one look on the field,
Then set my face to the town.
He said, "My child do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for a crown?"

Then into His hand went mine,
And into my heart came He.
And I walked in a light divine.
The path I had feared to see.

Author Unknown

This is one of my favorite poems. Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

kaybee said...

Hi Steve: It's one of my favourite poems also - so very meaningful when I was for 10 years as a missionary in Bucharest, Romania -- what a city!! Just wanted you to know the author is George MacDonald.