Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cleaning Day

Today is the day to clean off my desk. It was way too cluttered. This is something we all have to do from time to time. Here are some thoughts that came to me while I was performing this task:
  • It is always better to have a set time to do certain tasks. This is one of those things that need to be done regularly because things tend to "pile up." We too need to have regular times to "straighten up our own lives." This is the concept of examining ourselves that Paul mentioned in 2 Corinthians 13:5.
  • It important to put things in their proper place. During the week, we often use a thing and because we are focused on what we are doing at that moment, we don't put it back in its place. How often do we do this in our personal lives? We tend to get caught up in the daily struggles, influences, and exertion. In the process, our priorities get shuffled around. This is when we need to take the time to put our priorities back in their proper place.
  • It is surprising how much needless stuff accumulates. Initially, some of these things seem to have some significance and importance at the moment, but after the week is over, we realize this stuff is not important and simply clutters our desk. There are things in life that seem to be important at first, but eventually we realize they are only cluttering up our lives. This is when it is time to throw these things out! It is more difficult for some than others. I'm one of those who have a tendency to hold on to things I just don't need. Of course, occasionally when I throw things away (bulletins, notes I've jotted down, etc.), it seems I need them a day or two later. While this has happened, it is rare. I can't even remember a specific instance right now. So, in reality, I got by fine without it. Is there something in your life that needs to be discarded right now. Obviously, sin must be discarded (2 Cor. 7:9-10). However, there are times that even benign things in life need to be discarded when they tend to clutter up our lives.
I never cease to be amazed at the life lessons we can find all around us every day. Even the most mundane tasks afford us great opportunities to grow spiritually if we will look for the lessons that are there. I want to challenge you to look for the lessons in the tasks you have to do today!

No comments: